- About Us
- About ACWD
- ACWD’s Water Sources & Supplies
- South Bay Aqueduct Watershed Protection
South Bay Aqueduct Watershed Protection
The South Bay Aqueduct (SBA) conveys water from the California State Water Project to those portions of Alameda and Santa Clara counties served by the Alameda County Water District, Santa Clara Valley Water District, and the Alameda County Water Conservation District, Zone 7. These agencies are known jointly as the SBA Contractors and together they serve over 2,000,000 people in the San Francisco Bay Area.
In 2005, the South Bay Aqueduct Watershed Workgroup was formed to help protect water quality within the aqueduct by protecting the watershed lands surrounding it. The workgroup had three primary objectives:
- Develop a Watershed Management Program for the South Bay Aqueduct system, including Lake Del Valle and Bethany Reservoir.
- Protect local drinking water from identified contaminant sources.
- Protect water resources in the local area for urban, agricultural, recreational, and environmental uses.
This project was sponsored by a Proposition 13 Non-point Source Pollution Control Grant from the State Water Resource Control Board for the CALFED Bay-Delta Program and guided by the South Bay Aqueduct Watershed Workgroup.
- SBA Watershed Protection Program Plan - This plan describes the SBA Watershed and provides information on actions that can help protect water quality.
- Educational Materials and Workshops - These materials were developed to enhance public understanding of the South Bay Aqueduct Watershed and educate people living around or in the watershed area on how they can help protect their local water supply.
- SBA Recreational Brochure (PDF)
- South Bay Aqueduct Informational Brochure (PDF)
- Ranching Brochure (PDF)
- Signs (PDF)
- EBRPD Lake Del Valle Workshop
- Community Stewardship for Clean Water Workshops (Fire Prevention and Water Pollution Prevention)
- Community Stewardship for Clean Water Workshops (Grazing and Erosion Managements and Conservation Easements)
- Bethany Reservoir Water Quality Workshop
- Baseline Water Quality Profile - A baseline water quality profile was developed as part of the project to provide a basis for comparing water quality of the South Bay Aqueduct System.
- Stormwater Monitoring - This report details the findings of stormwater monitoring performed for the South Bay Aqueduct Watershed Protection Plan project during 2005-2006 winter.
If you have questions about this program, or to request paper copies of any of the materials listed below, please contact 510-668-6500