2024 Main Cleaning Schedule
The Alameda County Water District (ACWD) is scheduled to clean select water mains and all dead end mains in the cities of Fremont, Newark, and Union City to improve water quality and remove sediment buildup in pipes that may cause discolored water. This is part of the vital service provided by ACWD to ensure that all customers receive high quality water.
Cleaning will occur from January 2024 through June 2024; Monday through Friday, 7 AM to 4 PM (excluding holidays). Note that the cleaning schedule is subject to change.
Please note that there may be sediments stirred up in the water during or immediately after the cleaning event, giving the water a cloudy or discolored appearance. The water continues to meet all state and federal Drinking Water Standards for public health and safety (see discolored water FAQs). Residents may experience discolored water on streets or cul-de-sacs if the surrounding areas are being cleaned. Despite its appearance, discolored water does not indicate that the integrity of the water main has been compromised. A disinfectant residual is always maintained to ensure that the water continues to meet all state and federal health-based Drinking Water Standards. Some people may be more vulnerable to contaminants in drinking water than the general population such as immunocompromised persons, some elderly, and infants. These people should seek advice about drinking water from their health care providers. Please minimize water use and avoid washing light-colored laundry from 7 AM to 4 PM on the day main cleaning is scheduled or if discolored water is noticed.
You can Click Here to find out if your street will be cleaned this year
- Type your street address in the search box
- Click on your street name and a dialog box will display the date of water main cleaning.
You can also search the street lists below, they are sorted alphabetically by street name for each city.
- Access a list of streets being cleaned in the city of Fremont
- Access a list of streets being cleaned in the city of Newark
- Access a list of streets being cleaned in the city of Union City
- Access a list of streets being cleaned in ACWD's service area by date
Tip: To search for your street, on your keyboard press Ctrl+F and type your street name into the search box; then press 'Next'. If your street is scheduled to be cleaned this year, the street name will be highlighted. Please note that the flushing dates may be subject to change due to system operations.
For further program information please contact the Operations Department administrative staff at (510) 668-6500; Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
ACWD staff thoroughly examined possible recapture methods for main cleaning discharges and will continue to do so. As much as ACWD would like to be able to reuse water from the main cleaning program, unfortunately, in most cases, it’s just not technically feasible. To clean our mains and continue to ensure high quality water for our customers, we need to flush at remarkably high flow rates that are not possible to recapture. The number of trucks, transit time for the trucks, gas, etc. needed to recapture the water would be excessive. Directing the water to a truck would be very time-consuming, inefficient, and resource intensive, significantly increasing costs of these State-required processes.
Helpful Tips for Home:
To minimize discolored water:
- Refrain from water use while main cleaning is in progress in your neighborhood.
- Wait an hour after street operations have ceased before using your taps to let normal flow patterns re-establish themselves.
To clear discolored water from your plumbing:
- Run the cold water faucet of your bathtub or other unscreened tap for 2-3 minutes until the water runs clear.
- If the water does not clear, turn off your faucet and wait an hour before repeating the process.